Wednesday, 26 September 2007

Should Wikis replace emails for collaboration?

The basic premise behind this post is that companies spend a huge amount of money on email appllications and storage devices to look after the countless emails we all produce. So what is the alternative, well Wikis seem like a good idea especially if you're working on a document collaboratively;

"If you and I were working together on a document, there are a lot of steps in between when I work on the document itself, and when you work on it. To send it to you, I’d have to create an email, attach the document, and send it to you. Once you receive it, you’d have to download the attachment (insert worry about viruses here), open it (let’s hope you have the right software to do so!), and finally you can edit it. That may not seem like much, but imagine doing that every time we pass the document back and forth"

1 comment:

Jennie said...

That’s why I used a wiki for my Chartership portfolio documents: It allowed my mentor to see and comment on my materials as I compiled them, without emailing back and forth…wikis are fun!