This article in Intranet Journal discusses the age old issue of Quality Content v Quantity. The article highlights the dangers of having too much content, problems associated with excess content include;
- "Pollutes and draws attention away from newer, more relevant information.
- Affects users' overall perception of an intranet. Since users have a tendency to see things as a whole, the poor content will mar the good content, or worse, the entire system.
- The longer you keep old content on an intranet, the more difficult and time consuming it will be to clean up later.
- Affects the quality of an intranet's search engine results page (SERP).
- Affects the performance of the search engine's indexing routine.
- Gobbles up storage space on your intranet server(s) and your backup media."